AUTISTIC/APPLIED BEHAVIOR ANALYSIS (ABA) SUPPORT
These classes for elementary-aged students diagnosed with Autistic Spectrum Disorder are based upon strict adherence to principles of Applied Behavior Analysis (i.e., functional assessment of behavior- FBA). They are characterized by utilization of discrete trial instructional format (i.e., presentation of stimuli with responses followed by specific consequences- rewards and error correction feedback), an extremely high degree of consistency in presentation of instruction, rich schedule of reinforcement, data collection and a dependence on data in making instructional decisions, and systematic presentation of tasks. Emphasis is on the development of skills in the areas of behavior, communication, socialization, functional living, and academics. Due to the intensive nature of instruction, 1:1 student / staff ratios are maintained. A full-time behavior analyst works with the classroom staff to provide on-going training and consultation. Speech, occupational, and physical therapy are integrated into the discrete trials on an individual basis under the consultative guidance of speech and language, occupational, and physical therapists.
Maximum Class Size: 6 students
Instructional Assistants: 6 Staff for a class of 6 Students
Students are instructed in the following areas: Behavioral management, communication, socialization, functional living, community living, fine/gross motor, academic skills.
The Primary Goal is to: develop socially acceptable behavior, a reliable and effective means of communication, and to develop basic academic skills in the least restrictive public education setting.PROGRAM FEATURES:
Related Services are included in the basic program.
- Applied Behavior Analysis methodology (Verbal Behavior, Discrete Trial, Direct Instruction, Functional Assessment, etc.)
- Intensive data collection and data-based decision makingEmphasis on development of socially acceptable behavior, communication, social and academic skills Materials-rich and highly structured physical environment
- Behavior Analyst support
- Positive Behavior Support
- Intensive, on-going staff development and training
- Program supervision and management
- Highly individualized curriculum/individualized educational planning
- Augmentative and Alternative Communication
- Occupational Therapy support services
- Physical Therapy support services
- Speech and Language support services
- Psychological support services
- Social Work support services
- Extended School Year programming (ESY)