Home Based Behavioral Program Guidelines
Programming in the home provides an opportunity to work in
close partnership with parents to meet the needs of their child. To insure the success of home-based services,
it is important that the roles of both parents and service providers be clearly
The IU staff and parent responsibilities described below
will insure that your child’s home based program is carried our effectively,
safely, and with your full participation.
Please review the guidelines with the IU staff members providing services
for your child (e.g., behavioral consultant and assistants).
IU Staff is expected to:
- Call in advance to schedule sessions and team meetings and
schedule ongoing home based services.
- Provide voice mail and phone numbers needed to reach IU
- Arrive 5 minutes before appointment.
- Begin instruction or consultation immediately.
- Provide a brief verbal report at the end of the activity or
- Provide ongoing progress information in a way agreed to by
parent(s) and IU staff (e.g., data).
- Answer question sat the end of the session or as soon as
possible by telephone or refer to the appropriate source.
- Plan with parent show they will participate in lesson (if
- Provide parents with activities they can carry out with
their child (if applicable).
- Assist parents in carrying out activities agreed to by
parent(s) and IU staff.
- Call 24 hours in advance to cancel an appointment and
reschedule the appointment as soon as possible.
- Plan with parent show off-site instruction will be conducted
(if applicable). Off-site instruction
must be authorized by the consultant supervising the program prior to taking
the trip. Parent or guardian required.
- Call to cancel appointment when staff is ill and reschedule
as soon as possible.
- Check with parent(s) prior to giving child food items.
Parents are expected to:
- Receive IU staff member at the agreed upon time and place.
- Remain in the home or at field trip location during the
- Have child ready for activity upon arrival of IU staff.
- Set aside an area for activity or instruction.
- Avoid the use of radio, television, and other potentially
distracting equipment in the instructional area.
- Insure that pets are properly supervised and restricted from
the instructional area.
- Limit access of siblings to the instructional area.
- Plan with staff how parents will participate in program
- Attempt to carryout activities recommended by service
- Call 24 hours in advance to cancel an appointment.
- Call to cancel appointment if child is ill (see Health and
- Transport child to authorized off-site instruction sessions
and participate in sessions.
- Provide health and allergy information to IU staff.