Inclement Weather Closing Policy
Early Childhood Services follows the snow and inclement weather closing schedule of the school district in which the early childhood program is located.
• Make sure you know the school district in which the program where you work is located. Be sure you have their website or snow closing number.
• Be sure the early childhood program in which you work knows about our policies.
• There may be cases when the school district is closed but the early childhood program remains open for child care. In such instances, Early Childhood Services will not be provided since we always follow the school district’s snow closing policy.
Playgroups follow the same schedule as children in early childhood programs – the school district in which that program is located dictates the snow closing schedule.
For home-based services, follow the schedule of the school district in which the child resides (or where you see the child). You will likely need to communicate with the family about delays and closings.
Delays and Transportation:
If there is a delay in the school district in which the early childhood program, playgroup, or home based program operates:
• Whether transportation is provided by the school district or the IU, you will follow the district’s schedule, i.e. a one-hour delay means there is a one-hour delay in the time the child is picked up and brought to the program, and therefore there is a one-hour delay as to when you should arrive.
• For children who attend a morning preschool program, a 2-hour school district delay may result in no program for the child that day, depending on the policy of the district providing transportation. In most districts a 2-hour delay results in no morning kindergarten. Districts often follow this policy for preschool transportation for morning students. Be sure to find out the district’s policy. Often the best way is to talk with driver!
• If the child’s parent is providing transportation, they should follow the school district’s schedule since that is the schedule that we follow.
When weather forces a program to close early, the rule is the same: follow the schedule of the school district in which the child’s program is located, whether its an early childhood program, home setting, IU classroom, or playgroup.
Closing of the BCIU Shady Retreat Rd. Office:
The office is closed ONLY if ALL of the school districts in Bucks County are closed. Therefore there is normally someone available in the Early Childhood Services office to assist you if you have questions.
Be sure to:
Keep parent and program contact information in your binder at your home or with you at your location so you are prepared to clarify arrangements with parents and the program each and every time.