Early Childhood Services:
Procedures for Families Regarding Inclement Weather
Early Childhood Services follows the snow and inclement weather-closing schedule of the school district in which the early childhood program is located.
• Make sure you know the school district in which your child’s program is located. Be sure you have their website or snow closing number.
• There may be cases when the school district is closed but your child’s typical early childhood program remains open for childcare. In such instances, Early Childhood Services will not be provided since our IU staff always follows the school district’s snow closing policy.
• Playgroups and itinerant therapies follow the same schedule. The school district in which the playgroup or therapy site is located dictates the snow-closing schedule.
• For home-based services, IU staff will follow the schedule of the school district in which you reside (or where your child is seen).
• If there is a delay in the school district in which the early childhood program, therapy site, playgroup, or home-based program operates, IU staff will follow the district delayed schedule.
• Parents are asked to follow the district’s delay when dropping children off at a program or therapy site. Otherwise, staff will not be available to meet you and your child.
• For children who attend an IU classroom program, a 2-hour delay means no morning program for the child that day.
• For children receiving transportation from their districts or from the IU, families must also pay attention to the school closing or delay announced for their transportation provider, since it is possible that decisions will vary from district to district. A program may be open, but transportation may not be operating, or vice versa.
• Districts often use their kindergarten policy when making a decision about transportation to preschool services. A two-hour delay may mean no morning transportation. Please check with the provider of your child’s transportation and the driver.
• If you are transporting your child to services, please follow the school district’s schedule since that is the schedule that IU staff will follow.
• When weather forces a program to close early, we work with school districts and families to see that children arrive home safely.
• If you have an appointment at one of our sites and the weather is inclement, please call first to ensure that the program is open.
Transition to School Meetings
• If a school district closes for the day, no transition planning meetings will be held.
• If the district is open one hour late, all meetings starting before 9:30 will be canceled and rescheduled.
• If the district is open two hours late, meetings occurring before 10:30 will be canceled and rescheduled.
• Whenever possible, parents will receive an email alert or phone call about the cancellation.