Survival Guide to a Substitute's Day in "C217" - May 2013 InFocus Article
The Induction Program of the Bucks County Schools Intermediate Unit # 22 has outlined activities to occur throughout the first year of employment. In addition, newly hired teachers will also participate in a second year of the induction program. The second year is intended to be educator specific and developed. This is accomplished as the inductee designs a Focus Group, Pilot Study Project, or Action Research. This requires planning, recording, and approvals throughout the Spring prior to Year Two.
In order to ensure the appropriate process is followed, inductees adhere to the established parameters.
- Determine a topic they would like to learn more about. Particular attention should be paid to those areas in which the inductee would experience significant professional growth. This topic could be as simple as one area the inductee wanted to learn about, but hasn’t had the time, or as complex as developing Communication Parameters.
- The inductee may NOT utilize graduate work in lieu of this experience. Since this is part of the induction program, it is a contractual obligation. However, the information gained during graduate study may certainly be applicable to the induction program Year Two Project.
- The designed project must significantly contribute to the inductee’s professional growth AND enhance student achievement.
- The inductee will design a Focus Group, Pilot Study Project, or Action Research based upon the topic they have chosen.
- The inductee will complete the Act 48 Program/Activity Planner to design the project. Training will occur to assist inductee’s completion of the form and offer guidance.
- The inductee will attend four, three-hour evening sessions throughout the year of the second year of employment (4:30PM-7:30PM) at the BCIU in order to discuss and receive feedback about the project.
- The goal for Year Two induction must be on their Professional Growth Plan.
- If a group project is selected, group membership is NOT limited to Induction Class Members. Interested BCIU colleagues may join the group, however, the group must meet on the four designated three-hour evening sessions.
- The work completed through this project must be shared with a larger audience, which may include the Induction Class, the staff of a BCIU Program, or the staff of the entire BCIU. Web-postings, Podcasts, or Vodcasts are encouraged.
- The Act 48 Program/Activity Planner must be submitted for approval by May 15 during the first year of induction.
The goal of Year Two of the BCIU Induction Program is to foster relationships developed during Year One. In addition, the professional growth of inductees becomes more meaningful when developed by the inductee. This professional education will occur throughout a one year period of time and is sustained by continuous support of identified colleagues.